Home / Global / Aena invests 4.2 million in technology

Aena invests 4.2 million in technology

Spanish airports and Air Navigation (Aena) has just tendered for Vigo airport a contract of 4.2 million euros to equip it with the latest technologies in the field of luggage inspection and to strengthen the control of explosives.

This measure is not isolated, but is part of a national plan with which Aena aims to adapt the systems that monitor checked baggage-those travelling in aircraft holds – to the regulatory changes introduced by the European Union. Investment at national level is around EUR 700 million.

The new system that has just been tendered for the detection of explosives boasts a greater search capacity and increases fluidity during the process of monitoring the suitcases. Their technology is similar to that of medical CT. The EU fixed September 2020 as the deadline for these systems to be implemented at European airports.

In Spain it has 46 airports and 2 heliports, which in 2015 alone recorded 207.4 million passengers, a figure 5.9% higher than in 2014, most of them with international destinations. Domestic flights also grew by 6.1% over the previous year. In short, 70% of the commercial traffic of Spanish airports in the Aena network is International and the remaining 30% is National. Moreover, the traffic in goods exceeded 715 000 tonnes. Spain is the third country in Europe in air traffic volume (behind the United Kingdom and Germany).

In 2014, Aena had more than 7,000 employees. The company went public last year and its first shareholder is the state with 51% of the capital.

Check Also

The evolution of Technology in the meat industry

The material and machinery for the carnica industry are evolving in a very high way, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *